Friday, March 13, 2009

How It All Began

I’m Jill and I’m a runner. A slow runner. I was not born to run. As a kid, I was hopeless at anything athletic. I was the last kid picked for every team, and I flunked the Presidential Physical Fitness test every year it was given. The only race I could win was a cookie-eating contest .

I got into fitness around the time I turned 30. I was doing activities I liked: weight lifting, rowing, cycling. But I had trouble keeping the workout going when I got too uncomfortable. I needed a way to overcome this threshold. Running was perfect. I hated it and had no speck of natural ability. I figured that if I could teach myself to do something I despised from the very first step, then I would be good with the stuff I actually liked.

It evolved slowly for me. At first, I was miserable every run. Then, I started mostly tolerating them. After that, every once in a while, I would have a run I actually enjoyed. I started participating in some 5-k races, bringing up the rear and scrounging for whatever bananas remained at the obligatory food tent. Even in the smallest races, I almost always timed it poorly and had to walk a bit to finish.

So one day I am riding my bicycle to work when I hit a bump in the road and get ejected quite handily from my seat. I’d like to say the damage to my ankle wasn’t exacerbated by the pull-on high heel boots I was wearing, nor that I had to yank them off because I refused to cut them. Whether it was because of the fall itself or the fashion gods, I had a high ankle sprain. No running for at least six weeks.

A strange thing happened. Every time I saw a runner trot by, I was jealous. I told myself that this was because I hated my crutches and I was feeling increasingly out of shape. But the runners would bop past, all springy and bouncy and enjoying the outdoor breezes in their hair. For the first time, I realized I wanted to run not to achieve some other purpose, but simply because I wanted to run.

Since then, I’ve completed too many runs between 5-k and 10-k to count, the Broad Street Run (10 miles) three times, five half marathons and three full marathons. The first two marathons I had to walk a lot to get to the finish. The third one, Philly this past November, was my breakthrough. I ran the whole thing. I had to back off my pace a bit for the last five miles, but I did not walk. I’ve overcome so many injuries that the PTs at Novacare just shake their heads when they see me coming. I used to be shocked when I had an enjoyable run. Now I’m surprised by the bad ones.

I’m hungry to see what I can really do. How fast can I get? I’ll never get a shoe deal, but maybe, just maybe, I can elevate myself to the middle of the pack, where there is a plethora of yellow bananas to choose from at the end of a race. Simple goals, maybe, but not so when you consider where I began.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like a great escape, much like softball is for me. For the two hours or whatever when I'm playing, all I care about is doing everything possible to win the game. All of the other stressful things in life are buried while I'm on the field.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Starting to run again for me has been a reality check. In school I ran cross country & track, I wrestled and I played voleyball. I was best at wrestling and ran like crazy. Volleyball worked for me because I had a 42" vertical jump. I was at a practice or a game every day from August - May and during the summer it was beach volleyball all day every day. Now...not so much. Any running at all makes my knees so soar that walking is a chore. I'm hoping that my problem was that I started out too fast and over worked my knees. They haven't been used to run in a l-o-n-g time. I've scaled back the training and baught a treadmill to lesson the impact and rehab the joints. As of now the knees feel pretty good but today will tell the tale when I go for 3 miles. I'm making myself start slow so I can keep the long term goal in mind. 1st...Clean Air 5K. 2nd...Broad Street. I f I can walk after that then I'll consider the ING Distance Run. If everything is on track at that point I'll dust off my hope of the Philasdelphia Marathon.

    Let's hope my mill has a little magic as well!

    ReplyDelete